Many will agree that the kitchen is the most important part of the house. It is the place where meals are made, basically the heart of the house. The one Continue Reading
Many will agree that the kitchen is the most important part of the house. It is the place where meals are made, basically the heart of the house. The one place everyone steps into multiple times in the day whether it is a trip to get a glass of water or whipping up a quick omelet.
A kitchen is more than just walls, taps, and cookware. There is dinnerware, the things we use to eat. Without cups, plates, bowls, there is very little that can go on at the dinner table. Choosing the right dinnerware for your house is not easy. The following is a detailed guide on the things to consider before settling for that beautiful dinnerware set.
Quality is important; it is what determines how long something will last. You want to buy plates and cups that will withstand the test of time. The best dinnerware sets are made using high-quality glass. If it is a teacup made of glass, for instance, they need to be a little heavy on the hand: that is always a sign of quality. Before buying any cup, make sure they are made by the best glass cup manufacturer in the market. Do not compromise on that.
The Number of People in the House
The people you entertain in the house should influence the amount of dinnerware you plan to buy. If you are only a handful with very few visitors, then a moderate set that can handle a group of 10 in one sitting would do. But if you are the type to host little parties, book clubs, and meets, then you may want to get multiple sets. Fortunately for you, many shops sell dinnerware in bulk; this way, you get to save money.
Deeper pockets will get you higher quality plates, cups, and bowls. Your options become limited if your funds are limited. There is special dinnerware that can only be imported from other countries. The kind that has handcrafted art or the kind that is made by the best material on earth. If you are looking to impress, then you should be ready to spend an arm and a leg to acquire these.
However, cheaper dinnerware does not necessarily mean lower quality; it is easy to find very decent sets at low prices. You just need to know where to look.
The Size and Capacity of Your Cupboards
You may have the funds to buy a whole truckload of cups and plates, but you will not have a place to put them. How you store your dinnerware is crucial to their durability. If you stuff them all into a cramped space, you will have a lot of broken glasses. There is a certain size of plates that a normal cupboard can accommodate. Know what your units can hold before sauntering off to the shops. A majority of dinner plates measure about 12 inches in diameter.
The material used to make dinnerware is important. There are about five materials that are widely used across the globe. They include the following;
- Bone China: A type of porcelain that is made of feldspathic material, kaolin, and bone ash. It is lightweight, durable, and the strongest range of china. Another big plus for bone china is that it is safe to microwave and wash using a dishwasher.
- Earthenware: A type of ceramic that has been properly glazed and fired to give it a hard and strong look. They are heavy and rustic but fragile. When using earthenware, avoid applying abrupt temperature changes to them.
- Melamine: The most popular and readily available material that is found in almost all the homes. They are harder to break or chip, which makes them ideal for those outdoor picnics.
- Stoneware: This is made from clay that is fired at a higher temperature than earthenware. Another differentiating aspect of stoneware is that it has some glass material added to it. It is more durable and has a better texture and finish.
- Porcelain: A non-porous material that is achieved by applying the highest temperatures during its molding. Dinnerware made out of porcelain is the most durable and is safe for microwaves, dishwashers, and even ovens.
It is okay to read guides like this as you try to find dinnerware that suits you best. At the same time, you have to pay attention to your style. Everyone has a unique style, it involves your favorite colors and the general look of your house.
We have formal and informal dinnerware. The style also depends on the people you live with. If you have youngsters, then you may have to go for the hardy melamine ones. If you have space and the funds, then splash it on as many types as you can. That gives you the freedom to switch up styles anytime you feel like. Just make sure that you have enough storage for them.
You cannot do without dinnerware unless you are the type that subsists on takeouts. For a well-cooked home meal, you will need complete sets, from plates to bowls to cups and mugs to glasses. There are enough options out there to choose from and hopefully, this guide can help you narrow down to what you need.